A quick couple of questions with South Africa's undisputed godfather of Liquid Drum & Bass and a firm favorite here at Butterbox. Don't forget to catch Hyphen on Bush 85.9fm for the Sublime Drum & Bass show every Tuesday at 10pm.
1. So how did you come up with your name?
My real name has a hyphen , it was the first the thing that came to me and it just stuck . Not the best plan though , im happy , but try searching hyphen on Google , yikes !
2. What cereal do DJ’s eat?
Pffft , you think we’re awake for breakfast ?
3. What has been your biggest fuck up you've ever made whilst performing?
No such thing , mistakes just mean another lesson learnt .
4. Do you see other genres of electronic music being more radio friendly in the future? Would you like them to be?
Radio friendly doesn’t really apply anymore , i’ve heard pretty much the full spectrum on radio lately . Im all for it , if it means im not listening to bubblegum pop , im happy .
5. Favourite DJ other than yourself? ;) and why?
Too many to mention , anyone doing it for the right reasons and having a good time . Carl Cox was a big inspiration when i was starting up .
6. Favourite feel good tune of all time?
Adam F – Circles
7. Which 3 international DJs would you most want to see in South Africa in 2012?
8. do you have any other creative outlets other than music?
Im seriously into good food at the moment , thanks Food Network
9. Favourite pastime?
Ummm making and playing music
10. Does your toilet paper hang under or over?
Depends who’s coming to visit .
11. Money or Fame?
12.What is you favourite venue to play at?
Hard question , festivals are always amazing , Earthdance , Rocking The Daisies , CTEMF & Oppikoppi were all standouts , but i also love getting personal at places like Homegrown @ Mercury , It Came From The Jungle at Fiction & The Assembly .
13. Do you think you need to be a producer to make it big as a DJ?
With the rise in technology , no . But it does help . Would you rather be known for playing someone elses music or your own? There’s definitely more longevity in producing
14. Whats your take on stomping? Haha
It’s better than standing still looking bored
15. Describe yourself in High School…
Quiet guy with the wierd music that none of my friends liked .
16. Are you a digital or analogue junkie?
I have no preference , but i love my vinyl collection more than i love my mp3 collection .
17. Have you ever had a decent one-man dancing session?
18. What is you take on social media and the impact it has had in promoting yourself as a DJ in South Africa?
It’s definitely helped . It’s nice being in touch and having such an immediate response.
Although i’ve recently heard about guys jumping from 95 “likes” to like 4000 “likes” overnight due to a cash for fan vibe . Kinda defeats the point i think , but yeh , money can’t buy skill , or respect .
19. If you were playing a back to back set, who would be your dream partner?
I’ve done some great b2b’s with Niskerone and Sfr , but i think Hyphen vs Nelson Mandela vs Kurt Cobain would be the ultimate.
Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/hyphensa
Twitter - https://twitter.com/hyphenza/
Soundcloud - http://soundcloud.com/hyphenza